Imagine the opportunity to bring your talent to a high-performing organization making a meaningful difference in the lives of men, women and children all across Chicago. We are one of the nation’s premier, nonprofit organizations dedicated to feeding hungry people while striving to end hunger in our community. We are dynamic, mission-focused, innovative, values-driven, diverse, focused, impactful and energetic. We believe in inspiring change and know change only happens when everyone has a voice and a place at the table. It starts by unleashing the joy and potential in each other and the people we serve.
The Benefits Outreach Coordinator is responsible for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and medical (Medicaid) benefits outreach, including client eligibility pre-screening, client application assistance, and information dissemination to clients and staff of partner agencies. Responsible for following up with clients and data tracking.
· Schedule and prepare for outreach visits with community partners and Food Depository member agencies.
· Assist clients at member and community agencies with completing SNAP and Medicaid applications and educate clients about the programs and the follow-up needed to successfully enroll in these programs.
· Provide screening and SNAP and Medicaid application assistance to individuals via phone and coordinate follow-up to ensure application is successfully completed.
· Provide referrals and case management assistance for clients upon request.
· Inquire with the Illinois Department of Human Services (IDHS) about client’s applications.
· Develop and maintain relationships with IDHS offices.
· Assist with educating community partners about SNAP and Medicaid and its importance to clients and the community.
· Develop in depth knowledge of SNAP and Medicaid policy and stay informed about policy and procedure changes.
· Ensure that outreach activities are tracked and recorded as needed for program evaluation and reporting to funding agencies.
· Assist with training of staff, volunteers and Food Depository member agency staff that will assist with SNAP outreach activities.
· Participate in internal meetings and meetings related to local SNAP and Medicaid program developments and issues at IDHS offices.
· Collaboration across departments.
· Competitive applicants will have a Bachelor's degree (or high school diploma/GED plus at least 2 years experience).
· Experience providing direct service to individuals and families and call center/customer service experience.
· Experience with public benefit programs and their respective application processes is preferred.
· Strong candidates will have strong interpersonal skills, excellent project management and good organizational abilities.
· Bilingual preferred (Spanish, Polish).
· Proficient in MS Office applications.
· Transportation is required.